Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Blog Post #4

Asking Questions: What questions do we ask? How do we ask?


What do we need to know about asking questions to be an effective teacher?


In The Right Way to Ask Questions in the Classroom by Ben Johnson, he gives a better way to make sure the class is listening, paying attention and being prepared to answer a question. Johnson explains that usually the same children raise their hands to ask questions.This system has caused other children to stop paying attention. A way to get them engaged it to equally call on the students so that they will listen and know that they will be called on. He also explains that you should wait 3 seconds before calling on a student to give them time to think of the answer. I like Ben Johnson’s idea and plan to use an adaptation of this idea in my future classroom. I like the idea of using equity sticks in a small bucket or can. The sticks would have the students names written on them. I could then pull the sticks and place them back in. A way to make sure you call on everyone would be to put a smaller bucket inside of a bigger one and once you pull a stick you put it back in between the two buckets. If the students don't know you are doing this they will always be prepared to answer a question. I would also wait a little longer than 3 seconds before calling on someone. If  a student does not know the answer I would make sure to move on so I would not embarrass the child. I would keep in mind that I would need to make sure they understood.


http://kindertastic.blogspot.com/2011/08/lucky-ducks.html

In the video Asking Better Questions in the Classroom by Joanne Chesley, she talks about how it is better to ask open ending questions rather than closed-ending questions. A closed-ending question can be answered with a yes or no answer. An open-ended question requires a more detailed answer. For example, if a question started with, "what would happen if...?", then the response could not be yes or no. I agree with trying to give open-ended questions because it encourages the students to be more thoughtful with their answers.


After watching the video Questioning Styles and Strategies, I learned about several types of styles and different types of techniques for asking questions.

Questioning Styles
  1. Mastery (Describe)
  2. Interpersonal (What do you like?)
  3. Understanding (What was the effect?)
  4. Self Expressive (Draw a picture)
The teacher in the video thoroughly explains and shows different styles of questioning. I like how he randomly called on different students. They were all prepared with their answers and gave it their best shot. He also asked a student to call on another student from a different table. I think by using all of these styles the students will have a better understanding. Students learn differently and this allows them to have every chance to absorb and interpret the information being taught.

2 comments:

  1. Patricia,
    I love the idea of equity sticks! One of my professors right now actually uses them during class. I would also love to use them in my classroom. I think it would create an equal opportunity for all the children to get involved in the class discussion with out always calling on the same kids. Great post!

    ReplyDelete