Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Project #15

Search Engines


http://www.bullydogwebs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Search-Engine-Banner.jpg

  1. Bing-Bing is a search engine that is a lot like Google. You can search for information, find the news and look for images. There is a search box in the middle of the site to type in what you are looking for. At the bottom of the site is recommends articles for you to read. I feel there is a lot going on with this search engine and prefer something a little simpler. I do like the recommendations at the bottom.
  2. Ask-Ask is an interesting search engine because it has a tab to click on for questions and answers. You can ask your own questions or search through others. You can also find information, news and videos on Ask. I like the clean layout of Ask and feel it is easy to use.
  3. Yahoo-Yahoo is a search engine like Google. You can sign up for an email address. You can search for information, news and videos. Yahoo has a lot of other uses as well. You can find groups for people with similar interests, movie reviews, food, travel entertainment and more.  The site is very busy. I would not use yahoo as a search engine because I don’t need all the additional features.
  4. Dogpile- Dogpile is a search engine where you can find information, images, video, news and more. It also has a tab for the white pages. I like the clean and fun look of this site. The search results come from Google and Yahoo.
  5. DuckDuckGo-This search engine is a simple search box with no bells and whistles. It claims that it is “the search engine that doesn’t track you”. I think that is a great privacy feature. I am constantly getting advertisements online from websites I have visited. This search engine is one I will defiantly try!
  6. Webopedia- Webopedia is an online technical dictionary. You can search your word at the top of the page. This site would be used by IT professionals, and educators. I feel this engine is a little too busy. It recommends words and shows other searches. It also has a lot of advertising on the site.
  7. Mahalo- Mahalo is not your typical search engine.  It is a “How To” website where you can search how to do anything and find an answer in articles or videos. I like the layout of the site and like how it is organized into different categories such as health and education. Mahalo uses real people to review other websites and then post their results to be searched. I like that Mahalo uses real people because we get less spam and malware using their search engine.
  8. WolframAlpha- WolframAlpha is a computational knowledge search engine.  The search engine says that they are “more than a search engine. It gives you access to the world's facts and data and calculates answers across a range of topics, including science…”  I really like the simple look of the site.  It has a search box in the middle of the screen. This is a great website for educators and students.  I especially like all of the help with math, I don’t think there is another search engine like this and I am excited to use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment